Monday, June 29, 2009

Day Two

Thursday, June 25th, 2009

I freely admit that after shelling out nearly $5000 for a one-month trip to Ireland, we would be afforded certain luxuries like normal showers, wi-fi internet, and a chartered bus. But oh, how very wrong I was. Okay, so the shower thing isn’t actually so bad. If you’ve ever been on a cruise ship, you’ll probably understand what I’m talking about. Picture a very small bathroom. Add a sink and a toilet about a foot apart. Then add a showerhead another foot from the toilet. Then add a curtain with roughly a three-foot circumference around the showerhead. That’s our bathroom. Trying to shave your legs without bumping into the toilet=very hard to do.

The wi-fi thing is also not so bad. Truth be told, it’s kind of nice living without feeling like I have to check my Facebook every five seconds and then spend another hour finding out which color my aura is and what type of wood accurately represents my inner soul. Though I am feeling like I’m missing out on valuable Skype time with Mike Johnson. Mike, if you’re reading this, we miss you. And we’re totally having drinks without you.

But the chartered bus thing is a bit of a disappointment. Though I understand, seeing as how Dublin is an urban center, I think I can honestly say I have never walked this much in my entire life. The trek to Christchurch Cathedral had to be at least a mile, if not more, crossing the River Liffey and passing Trinity College, the old Parliament, and Dublin Castle. But I do have to admit that the long walk was actually kind of worth it.

Before reaching Christchurch, we cut through the extremely touristy Temple Bar area. It’s pretty much what you would expect of a typical faux-medieval looking street, complete with high-priced pubs, stores, and gelato shops. Given fifteen minutes to poke around, Abbie and I looked at one another and instantaneously decided that was enough time for a pint. So we ducked into Temple Bar and ordered a Guinness (naturally). MJ, we’re doing you proud.

I suppose I’m just one big contradiction since I hate going to Sunday school, reading the Bible, and being preached at. But I love being in churches. Well, old ones at least—something I have proven by forcing Garrison to go into St. Patrick’s Cathedral when we went to New York last year and by not only making my parents and whiny teenage brother stop at the National Cathedral on our trip to D.C. a few years back, but making them go early for an organ demonstration as well. Yes, I’m strange and I freely admit it. But Christchurch Cathedral was absolutely breathtaking and well worth the walk. The interior of the church was gorgeous and the basement, which housed a museum of sorts, was equal parts creepy and thrilling. And yes Dan Schindler, I took lots of pictures of stone in case I ever decide to scenic paint again. Be proud.

After Christchurch, we headed back the way we came and made a stop at Dublin Castle, the sight of British rule and authority until Irish Independence. It was an interesting sight seeing a very gothic looking church and tower connected to later-added Georgian structures. Not to mention the neighbor of the castle was a high-rise displaying the absolute best of 1960s architecture.

After Dublin Castle, we backpedaled even further to Trinity College, the Oxford of Ireland (i.e. It’s the oldest university in Ireland). There we went to see the much talked about illuminated Book of Kells. I knew absolutely nothing about this, other than the fact it was a book. Turns out it’s four books, copies of the Gospel to be precise. And no, they weren’t glowing as I somehow imagined them being. They’re pretty much just four books from the medieval period that were copied by monks in Latin with really intricate artwork. Didn’t really live up to the hype.

But upstairs was the real treasure—the Long Room. Imagine a dark wood paneled room with an arched ceiling that stretches for half the length of a football field. Then add stacks filled with books on either side. Then double it, adding those same stacks to a second story. This is the Trinity College Long Room, which is absolutely amazing. A book lover, I was in complete heaven and never wanted to leave. Unfortunately, they didn’t allow pictures (it was endlessly irritating), so you’ll either have to Google it or wait till I get home to show you the postcard to get the full picture.

After Trinity, it was back to NCI for rest, then a pizza party/orientation. Everyone was pretty much wiped out by then, and even having a good night’s sleep before, I still went to bed around 9 p.m., proving that I am sort of boring.

Next stop: Kilmainham Gaol, 1916 Walking Tour, The Abbey Theatre, and PUBS.

(Because I’m in Ireland, duh.)


(Temple Bar, Christchurch, Christchurch interior, Dublin Castle)

No comments:

Post a Comment