Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 1.5

Wednesday, June 24th, 2009

Okay, so I did end up watching the last half hour or so of Speed Racer. Much as I tried, I just couldn’t end up falling asleep on the plane. The person in the row in front of us who kept their window open letting in the glaring morning sun wasn’t exactly beneficial to my cause. But the clouds finally parted as we made our final descent and Abbie and I got our first view of Ireland.

I don’t exactly know what I was expecting-leprechauns frolicking about and Michael Flatley leading a team of Riverdancers while everyone around raised a glass of Guinness and sang a drinking song-but Ireland seeming startlingly normal to my over-romanticized vision of it. The airport was also decidedly low-key. We exited the plane using steps, which I didn’t even know you could do anymore in our overly secure day and age.

Then, we made our long trek to passport control to get our visas. We ended up finding a line that rivaled the Finding Nemo ride at Disneyland on opening day, except there was no exciting ride and orange fish at the end, just a visa. We collected our bags fairly quick after leaving the line and then grabbed a taxi to head into central Dublin.

As much as you’ve thought it through in your head, it’s still slightly terrifying the first time you drive on the opposite side of the road. Never mind that Dublin is a maze of narrow, one-way streets and our cabbie drove like a seasoned New York pro, there were no street signs visible and for all we knew, we were driving around in circles.

But we finally made it to the quaint little hostel and checked into our room. Then, it seemed like no time until we were making our game plan to visit the ultimate Irish destination: The Guinness Storehouse. Eschewing my Google mapped directions, Abbie chose instead for us to walk blindly into the heart of Dublin and hope we found our way. After a slight panic from me, who doesn’t like not knowing her way around but is to proud to pull our her map and identify herself as a dumb tourist, we thankfully happened on one of the main roads that led us down to the quays where we followed the River Liffey to our destination.

It was a LONG walk and we were already tired when we reached the storehouse but shelled out some Euro and started the self-guided tour anyway. Let me tell you, it really is like Willy Wonka’s candy room for grownups. We learned about the entire process of making Guinness, then made our way to the Gravity Bar for a 360° view of Dublin and, yes, our free pint. As we enjoyed the amazing beer, straight from the source, we could begin to feel our exhaustion setting in. So after finishing our pint, we grabbed a taxi and headed back to our hostel.

Abbie immediately fell into a dead sleep, but I found out there was free internet and immediately occupied myself with that (yes, I freely admit I have a problem.) I eventually crashed too, literally not able to keep my eyes open as exhaustion set in. While still pretty much dead to the world, Abbie stole my computer and downloaded Skype (Username: msprowls –talk to me). I eventually tried to wake up and we have a video conversation with Mike Johnson, Bizz, Fig, and Dave that I barely remember due to the fact that I was still half asleep.

After finishing our conversation, we set out to find a drugstore to buy shampoo, etc, that Abbie said she had looked up online. Once again, we wandered blindly into Dublin down a very cute road and probably went half a mile before realizing there was no drugstore on that road. So we once again returned to the hostel, asking them if they knew where one was. Turns out, there was one right next door. Irony wins again.

After a night of very deep sleep, we awoke this morning and checked out of the hostel (interesting fact: Their showers had a push-button showerhead like a lot of sinks have, so I had to keep pushing the button or run out of water). We then grabbed a taxi and headed to the National University of Ireland. Problem: Apparently no one knows where that is, including our cab driver. Though our cabbie was totally awesome and a great conversationalist, he had to stop for directions multiple times (fortunately the meters don’t charge for idling like they do in New York). But finally we made it and got settled in the dorms we’ll be staying at for the next three days.

Good news: We’re right in the heart of Dublin and there’s lots of shops around. Bad news: no internet. So unless I can find a hotspot, you won’t be reading this until we’re already in Galway. Abbie is rooming across the hall, and I’m sharing a flat with two other girls (that I know of—there could very well be another one by now). We’re due to meet up with our group in half an hour and begin our tours. And hopefully someone will finally know where we’re going.


Next stop: Christchurch Cathedral, The Book of Kells, and a Dublin city tour.

(Be on the lookout for Wagner out and about in Dublin!)




No comments:

Post a Comment